Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Morning After

So here it is kiddies..my first post of 2008! Aren't you excited? Okay, so maybe not, but you should be though. I hope each and every one of you had a lovely New Year's Eve filled with the love and laughter of friends and family.


The first day of the new year was a pretty pleasant one. Let's hope that it's a sign of things to come. I decided the night before that I was going to get up early to go out and take some photographs of the country side. For some reason I got up a touch too early so I spent a good half hour driving around in the dark. Not much to be seen at that time of the morning except a drunk Mexican cowboy stumbling down the road. I contemplated stopping to get his picture, but even I know better then that. It wasn't a great day for pictures, but to the right was the best shot of the morning and it just so happened to be the first picture of the new year.

The majority of our day was spent watching football (I was humouring Big Daddy seeing as college ball is almost done for the season)though each of us spent time working around the house while O slept (for 4 hours - oh sweet sweet quiet time). We're waiting for the big game next week when our Bucks play LSU and so yesterday was just a root for Big 10 day. We even cheered for Michigan believe it or not (forgive us Lord for we have sinned).

For weeks I had been planning a surprise date for Big Daddy and I..sans critter. What a lovely evening it was! Friends of ours looked after O while we had a nice long leisurely dinner. It was so nice to get out just the two of us for a change. It had been a few days shy of a year since we had had the opportunity to do that. But that's what we get for living so far from family. We were also happy to hear that O had behaved himself and he wasn't the hooligan that he is at home. Maybe they'll be willing to watch him again some time (keeps my fingers crossed).

4 comments:

Gail said...

YAY! I date! I remember those. We have the same porblem, we are so far from friends and family - no free babysitters - well NO babysitters at all really. Alas, ya do what you can with what you've got I guess. Mike and I will often have an early night and just lay together in bed talking and laughing ourselves senseless. I love those nights. He's a funny guy! Im glad you actually got out though, its important for a marriage. And you finished what you started! wooohooo for you.
Congrats on getting out to shoot. I would've had the same idea of shooting the drunk Mexican too. I love the colours in your morning light photo. Nice niiiiiiice!
Where is home to you?

Erin said...

I like the sounds of your date nights with MOC. It sounds very peaceful and relaxing. I'm envious really. Big Daddy almost always puts up a fuss when I want to go to bed early and talk. He says when he goes to bed it's to sleep.

Thanks you for the kind words and input. Believe it or not, I didn't touch that photo but to resize it. I was a bit amazed how the colours came out.

Home now..is North Texas. We live just outside of DFW. Home home..is a small town just off of Lake Huron in Ontario, Canada.

Gail said...

So why Texas? I heard Texas has fire ants!
A small town just off Lake Huron sounds gorgeous, cold, but gorgeous.
I have only been to Canada once, and that was only to Vancouver and Vancouver Island.
I really really really want to take the Trans Canadian rail journey some day. But maybe when the monster is a little older, or maybe when the monster stays with Grandma and Grampa.

I'm sorry Big Daddy isn't into talking in bed, for me, it's just as important as 'other' bedroom activities. If only they knew, more talky, = more 'other' bedroom activities. :)

Erin said...

North Texas is a central location for Big Daddy. Big Daddy works for a company based in North Carolina, but travels to companies that they do business with west of the Mississippi. It saves money for the company if we're out here, but it also means that Big Daddy is home than if we had stayed in North Carolina.
We lived the first few year of our marriage in Oklahoma and Big Daddy was in Arkansas before that so we have friends and both states. We love the south in comparisons to the north and wanted to raise the critter here. Texas is a great spot..despite the fire ants. :) Sure their bites hurt and then itch..but we also have scorpions, black widow and brown recluse spiders that are all very common as well. You just have to watch where you step.

Vancouver and the island are both gorgeous! LOVE it out there and always thought I'd live out there, but God had other plans for me I guess. :) You'd live the trip I bet. It's beautiful in the Rocky Mountains. There are a ton of trees in Canada. Lots of wildlife. I'm itching to go back to the east coast. I like all the rock and ocean, but it would be more of a family discovery thing (out east is where both side of my family landed and lived when they came to Canada).