Friday, January 18, 2008

Kids Do The Darndest Things

There are times these days, that if I wasn't in the middle of disciplining my child, I'd be in hysterics laughing at some of the things he does.

Case in point; Right now, Critter is at that age when he takes everything I say literally. Just the other day I was on the phone with Big Daddy, who happened to be away working. Critter, being the social butterfly that he is, was wanting the phone and was climbing up onto my lap to try and take it away. At first I shooed him, pushing his little hand away. I told him politely to give me a moment and I would hand the phone over to him so he could talk. Unfortunately he has his mother's patience, which happens to be non-existant. He lost control of his temper and felt that smacking his mother was his best course of action to get what he wanted. Not a smart choice on his part. I paused mid-sentence to tell him to march hiself straight to his room. I had intended to quickly say goodbye to Big Daddy and go deal with the matter, but all of a sudden I hear "march, march, march" chanted over and over again by Critter as he made his way down the hall to his bedroom..actually marching! As he turns back to look at me over his shoulder, with a smile no less, I shoot back a stern look at him that says "don't mess with me, son". It was all I could do to save myself from the fit of laughter I felt welling up inside. Oh my word! Once he was in his room and out of ear shot, I laughed quietly into the phone and repeated the the events to Big Daddy who was still on the end of the line going "hey, what just happened?"

Of course he laughed when I told him. Mother laughed too; to the point she almost cried. I think she some how felt vindicated, even though I was the good daughter! Kid had a good laugh at the situation herself. I don't blame her though, well maybe just a little. I believe she took some pleasure in the fact that it was my son, who whether he intended to do (or realized) it or not, was a total smartass. Codster, bless his heart, can be a handful sometimes and so I'm sure she was tickled pink that it was my child this time.

It really was funny, even I had to admit that despite my frustration with him at the time. I'm waiting for the day that I can share this story with his children so I too can sit back, let out a good belly laugh and feel vindicated when his children do these kinds of things to him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you were really the good kid. I think mother just didn't know what you were really up to. :)

Gail said...

hahaha, now that is funny! Dont worry, the time will come, in a flash, and before you know it - or expect it.

Erin said...

Hey, I was a good kid. Just an adventurous young adult!

Erin said...

I know. It's amazing how quickly these years ave flown by with him already!

Anonymous said...

lol - don't kid yourselves girls...mother knew!!!