Monday, January 26, 2009

Time In A Bottle

Today was another milestone in a long list of accomplishments for Critter. It's become pretty clear to me that he has graduated from using the kiddie sized seat for the toilet. I recognize that this is hardly the jump up and down, celebratory, whoop it up kind of accomplishment but it's kind of a big deal for me.

When Critter was a baby, I couldn't wait for him to hurry and grow up. I longed for him to sit up, to eat by himself, to walk unassisted, and talking. I couldn't wait for him to be a toddler that I could share the joys and the wonders of his new world. Now that he's there and learning and exploring even more, I can't wait for him to be cognisant and understand the things that are yet beyond his comprehension.
I think today though, I realized that I miss his baby moments and the wonderment in his eyes when he discovered something new. I miss seeing his adorable toothless smile when he was pleased with himself or the things going on around him. I'm missing the discovering that he and I did together as first-time Mama and son. It's not that we still don't have those times, but now we're getting into much more familiar areas for me. I know what I'm doing now (for the most part).
My baby is growing up so fast and becoming so independent, it's scary. Sometimes he seems more like a smaller version of an adult then the three year old toddler he's supposed to be. He's such a smart inquisitive boy that wants to do everything on his own (except for snuggle - and for that I am eternally grateful). Surely I'm not disposable to him yet, right?

Tonight, I'm reminded to slow down and cherish the present moments that Critter and I have because, sadly, those times will be diminishing once I have to go back to work and him to preschool.

For Owen:

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that Id like to do
Is to save every day
Till eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you

If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true
Id save every day like a treasure and then,
Again, I would spend them with you

But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them
Ive looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go
Through time with

If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that had never come true
The box would be empty
Except for the memory
Of how they were answered by you

But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them
Ive looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go
Through time with

By Jim Croce

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I mention this would happen - lol

Mimi