Friday, January 9, 2009

Moolah Matters

I'm afraid my new found optimism has taken a bit of a hit today. Oh it's still there, but the foundation is a little shaky.

The source of my anguish you ask? Money, or lack there of. We are by no means in dire straights but our nation's economic crisis is certainly taking it's toll on our personal finances. You see, our household is reliant on the status of home construction and the real estate market and we all know where it's at right now.

The company that B.D. works for has been in business for a hundred and twenty years. They've never laid anyone off - not even during the great depression. No one quits working for the company. If a position becomes available, it's because someone has retired after working there almost the majority of their life. They have never had a year where they weren't turning at least some kind of a profit, that is until 2008. For the first time since the company's inception, it has failed to have a money making year. Gone is the profit sharing. Now, they're sharing the loss.

For B.D. that means 4 hrs less of work a week and a 10% reduction in pay. In May, if the economy hasn't improved, it will mean a 25% percent reduction in pay. I'm not certain of the exact number off of the bottom line, but it's not pretty.

For me, it means going back to work. Not the half-time we had originally planned, but full-time if we are to afford childcare. I don't mind. In fact I'm looking forward to it (a smidge). I'll miss the time with my boy, but if it means this family surviving..

Thanks to Suze Orman we've already begun our new financial plan for the new year. Wish us luck, huh?

1 comment:

Gail said...

its really scary isnt it? I am so nervous about what this year is going to bring. Even our church leaders are giving us counsel about being financially prepared for the bad economic situation. Who is Suze Orman?