Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hey Ladies!

I love eavesdropping on the conversation my son has when he doesn't know I'm listening. Today's was an exceptionally cute..though slightly disturbing one(at least for this mother).

The three of us had lunch at a fast food place not far from home today and while there, Critter found himself very much in the thick of things and in the company of a small gaggle of girls. B.D. and I were sitting below having lunch while all around us, kids played in the indoor playground. From time to time Critter would pop his head out above us and say hi. Most of the time though, we simply watched on while he chased after the other children until a conversation caught my attention.

Girl Gaggle: What's your name?
Critter: O
Girl Gaggle: How old are you?
Critter: Three.
Girl Gaggle: You're three?
Critter: Uh huh.
Girl Gaggle: The gaggle giggles here and there is some mutterings about how cute he is.
Girl Gaggle: Where do you live?
Critter: Texas.
Girl Gaggle: Where in Texas? Do you live around here?

I don't hear my son's response, but I know that he has said something because the girls giggle again and say that he is so cute.

At this time, I think O turns around to play and the girls move on to play somewhere else. Seconds later, Critter's voice rings out, "Hey, Ladies!" "Ladies?" " HEY LADIES, where'd you go?" At this point, B.D. and I bust up laughing. Our boy was searching for the gaggle of girls who briefly befriended him. In my head I hear the Beastie Boys singing "Hey Ladies..get funky" and I can't help but picture Critter over the years as he matures and REALLY becomes interested in girls.

I can see it now, my future daughter-in-law is going to be half my age. Older girls are O's thing and I can almost guarantee he's going to have himself a Mrs. Robinson. Right now, it's kind of funny to watch him trail after these girls. He smiles at them and is all cute with them. He wants to play with them even if there are boys around doing the stuff he loves to do. He finds the girls and is practically glued to their sides whether they want him to be or not.

And the expression "hey ladies"? He'd never used that one before. It's been "excuse me girl?" until I would remind him to ask them their name. B.D. asked me about the new expression and the only thing I can come up with is that he's taking a cue from "Syd" the sloth in the movie Ice Age. My son is taking lessons from a sloth..a cartoon sloth. Television..what a useful and educational tool, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about Miss Ally - the younger woman in his life.

Momma