Sunday, January 18, 2009

Book Review - The Time Travelers Wife

I recently read The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and for me it was one of those books that I just couldn't put down. Sure there were a couple slow parts, but they were very few and far between. It's 560 pages so it's a long one, but it only took me a couple of days to read. I found the story and it's characters that riveting.

From the back cover of the book:

A most untraditional love story, this is the celebrated tale of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who involuntarily travels through time, and Claire Abshire, an artist, who's life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Claire's passionate affair endures across a sea of time and captures them in an impossibly romantic trap that tests the strength of fate and basks in the bond of love.

It read a little corny to me at first, but that description barely scratches the surface of the level of depth to this story. It's more than a love story. It's a life story and while the basic premise is outlandish (time travel), the characters have very real, very normal life experiences. I don't want to say too much about this book. I'm not the spoiler type. But I will say that this novel is certainly well worth the read. I'm no fan of sequeals, but there should be one for this book.

No comments: