Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Odds and Ends

Sometimes I wonder why my Mother is the way she is. She's generally a really great person. She's kind and compassionate. She is generous and very loving. But despite all of these things she has this innate ability to make people feel terrible by guilting them.
Today Critter and I spoke to her and the conversation went well enough, but then I made the mistake of telling her my plans for big Daddy's homecoming. I'm planning to get a nice little hotel room near the airport, grab a nice sit down dinner and go to bed early. I thought it would be a nice thing to do for him..though I'm sure he'll want to get home, but I figured it would be a nice thing to do in place of the hour drive on top of getting something to eat. Soooo..my Mother takes this nice gesture and berates it. She continually asked what O and I were going to do while Big Daddy slept the entire night. I wanted to reach through the phone and smack her. Her reason..she was ticked because O and I didn't go to Florida to meet up with her and my step-father. I'm not even going to begin to get into my reasons for not making the trip, but they are too numerous. Anyways..so ya..thanks for your support Mom.

We have had some pretty outrageous weather today. From about 9am until mid afternoon we had some major thunderstorms and rained like the end of the world was coming. There were tornado and flash flood watches most of the day. Winds were over 100 mph at times today and most all in bound and out bound flights were cancelled out of DFW. It's still raining and tomorrow isn't looking much better. Critter is going to have some major cabin fever tomorrow.

Big Daddy's boss called today, which I thought was very nice of him. He called to check on O and I, to see how we were doing. He's a good man and has always looked out for our family. But he too has been on several of these trips, a couple to China, and knows how hard it can be on a family. It was thoughtful..and much appreciated by me.

I just finished reading Ken Follett's Pillars of The Earth last night. It's a rather large book - 973 pages to be exact, but I spent just a little over 5 days reading it. I had a difficult time putting it down needless to say.
It's late now though, and well..I think I'll wait until tomorrow to tell you what I thought of the book.

So, on that note, I'm off to bed. Sleep tight kiddies!

2 comments:

Gail said...

Oh that was nice of Big Daddy's boss. I remember the first time Mike had to go away on business, I was relatively new to the country and one of his colleagues gave Mike his phone/email to give to me should I need anything while Mike was away. I thought that was very thoughtful, and called him merely to say thankful. He said he knew what it was like to be in a foreign country and not know a soul. Experience often allows us compassion for others. I like that.

I wish I had someone here that was so compassionate lol.

and mothers... what can you do?!

I think you should go for it, and book that hotel, if it feels right go for it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.