Monday, March 17, 2008

Erin G'Braugh!

To those that celebrate it..Happy St. Paddy's Day.

I don't know much about Saint Patrick, but I feel a certain sort of kinship to this particular holiday. I wasn't born in Ireland, but some of my people were. My great-great grandfather was an Irish immigrant to Canada many years ago and it is Ireland that I am named after. And so I celebrate the holiday regardless.

A vast number of Big Daddy's people were Irish as well, and so most years, I do a small feast of corn beef, boiled potatoes and cabbage. One year I even made soda bread. This year though, O and I did very little. He doesn't really get the concept (nor does he like potatoes and cabbage), so it was a very quiet celebration today. Both of us wore green as is our tradition, but there was no feast. Next year.

When Irish eyes are smiling
and Irish smiles are wide,
When Irish hearts are happy
and the piper plays a slide,
when Irish stew is bubbling
and the soda bread is hot
and the Irish tea is steeping in
a little Irish pot,
When the room is warm with laughter
and the songs are bright and bold
and there's poetry and magic
in the stories that are told,
Isn't it a blessing,
isn't it just grand
to know the heart and soul
of you belongs to Ireland?

2 comments:

Gail said...

My husband loves Ireland. I have not been... but I am sure its a lot like NZ.
We are planning on driving to scotland in August. We both have family there.

Thats my mothers favourite song btw. Brought back memories.

Happy Saint Patricks day to you too.

Erin said...

I haven't been there either, but it's one of the places Big Daddy has his heart set on seeing.
I want to see the whole UK. Not only does it sound quite beautiful but the history there and the connection to family (Scottish, Irish, and English) is always a big attraction for me.

I'm glad it brought back memories for you. I hope they were good ones. :)