Wednesday, March 26, 2008

High-Gloss Black

I consider myself the crafty DIY'er type. I love to fix, build, create, and refurbish stuff. I don't know if it has to do with being hands on or creating something from scratch that gets my blood pumping, but whatever it is, I love it. I have a great imagination and will try just about anything, but on my latest project my execution stinks!

In case you missed it in my previous posts or are just tuning in, I'm painting my kitchen table and chairs. They are only a few years old but for some reason, the finish was already coming off of the table and rather then continue to pick off the finish (which was driving Big Daddy crazy) I decided to refinish the set. Originally, I wanted to re stain the table but once I got sanding I realised just how long it would take me to get it down to the bare wood and I was looking for something a little more quick fix. So I opted for a rough sanding and then painting.

Sounds all well and good right? Not quite. I guess here is where I should mention the only blemish (that I know of yet) on my DIY career...painting. It really isn't my forte. I'm a bit of a sloppy painter and while I'm trying to be super careful and make sure I'm doing it correctly, I'm finding that my once easy and fast solution is now taking me forever! The reason (at least in my books) is high-gloss black paint. It looks great when done by a professional..or when a sprayer is used. But when you give high-gloss paint to a woman that is a sloppy painter and you have a recipe for disaster my friends.
So why give a sloppy painter high-gloss black paint in the first place you ask? Well, the table and chairs look a little Asian-esque and with all black appliances, I thought the paint choice was a good one. Uhhh..not so. Oh well, you live and you learn right. Maybe..just maybe..Big Daddy will take pity on me and help me finish up the three chairs that are left.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: