Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Boy Was My Face Red

Have you ever had one of those moments in which you wish the floor would open up and swallow you, saving you from the embarrassing situation you suddenly find yourself in? I had such a moment yesterday.
Critter and I had a few errands to run, one of them being a trip to the post office. It sounds innocent enough, right? The post office was brimming with people as is the norm for a Monday morning. So it was no surprise that we found ourselves waiting in line to be helped. There we were, the next in line. O was standing beside me, holding my hand, chattering away to anyone that would pay him any mind and generally being very good. And then..my moment happens. Let me pause here for dramatic effect.

There comes a time in every parent's life when your child says or does something to utterly embarrass you. It's unavoidable. It's as certain as death and taxes. I did it. My sister did it. Big Daddy did it all the time. I knew that someday O would embarrass me too. I just never thought that it would be this soon. My mistake!
So there we are, still waiting for our turn at the counter and the place begins to fill in behind us. A woman takes a spot behind us in line and behind her, a man. Critter and I talk, me trying to keep him focused on staying with me and staying out of trouble. Hearing business starting to wrap up, I turn my attention to the conversation being held by one of the postal workers and the man she is helping. My feet shuffle, I inch forward a little as I get ready to move up when all of a sudden I hear the sweet innocent voice of my toddler ring out in the almost silent lobby.."You gotta boo boo? Right there, you got a boo boo?" I turn and look to see who he is talking to and what boo boo he is pointing out. As I'm making the turn, I hear the woman behind us reply to his questioning "Yes, I do have a one and it just won't seem to go away." Looking at her feet and working my way up, I see no boo boos to speak of until I look at her face. There just below her lip is an angry-looking red sore and my son is pointing it out to everyone present. "It's red. You gotta boo boo. It's red." I'm mortified to hear him continue. I have no idea what the sore was, but it's something that I certainly wouldn't have wanted pointed out and stared at. By this time, I've turned a brilliant shade of red (likely matching the colour of her sore) and desperately trying to turn O's attention else where. "Yes it is red" the lady behind us replies politely looking slightly embarrassed herself. THANK GOD this seems to satisfy my little critter and he drops this line of conversation. I throw an apology over my shoulder to the woman as a postal worker calls out for the next in line. I quickly grabbed O's hand and ran to the counter with a speed the likes of y'all have never seen before! Thankfully, Critter forgot all about the woman's boo boo and I was able to get out of there before he could notice the b.o. smell of the man now waiting behind us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG that is too funny. I notice you wrote that I have that but I must say that is hard to believe. Prety sure I was a perfect child never ever saying anything I shouldn't...LOL kidding. If it makes you feel better Cod loves to say "fart" a hundred times when we are out in public.

Erin said...

Oh ya..funny..like ha ha. You wouldn't have been laughing it had been you. It stinks that we live in a small town. I'm sure we'll see her again. Hopefully she won't remember us! LOL

At least the Codster isn't using any other word out in public a 100 times! LOL

Gail said...

hahaha that IS funny! thankfully Mac doesnt talk, well not in a way that anyone else but me understands ... so Im safe for a while in that regard.
Ive had a tonne of that stuff happen to me, ppl are usually fine with it, when its a cute little kid. Dont worry about, and just write it down to embarrass him in return in front of his girlfriend in 20 years or so. its sweet revenge I can tell you! lol