Friday, April 11, 2008

Being Proactive

Instead of complaining to my family, friends, and fellow neighbours about the things I don't like about my neighbourhood or town, I've opted to get involved. Last night was the first small step in the beginning of that. I decided to go to our annual Home Owner's Association meeting and joined a couple of communities. With my Internet development background, I joined the website/newsletter as well as the crime watch committee but also intend to help with the landscape group when they need help with planting around our subdivision.
I've been wanting to get involved for a while, but I didn't quite have the time to devote to it. But now that O has become the very mobile, self sufficient, independent, and content creature that he is, I feel better about getting involved and spending time doing things away from the house and away from him. With Big Daddy having made his BIG trip for the year, I can count on him (to some extent) to be around which makes my involvement more possible.

Seeing as involvement is the word of the week around here, today I'll be contacting the president of our Chamber of Commerce to see where I can get involved in our town. We are a small community on the fringes of the DFW Metroplex but the town has become one of the fastest growing communities in Texas. There has been a population boom over the last few years and the town is doing it's best to catch up with the influx of people and the demand it brings.
If you had asked me a couple of years ago if I ever thought I'd get involved like this, I'd have told you you were crazy. I'm shy person (truly I am, kiddies) until I get comfortable with people or a certain situation. But I'm not really the type to put myself out there in the first place so to actually be the one to approach these people is monumental for me. It was time yanno? It is time away from the house in which I can be me, my own person and separate from being a mother and wife. It's also about taking pride in my community both the neighbourhood and town that I live in and making it a great place to live in. I also want to get involved just for the sake of getting involved; to meet new people; and be a part of something that maybe my critter will be proud of me for and will inspire him to be involved someday.

2 comments:

Gail said...

so proud!
excellent.

Erin said...

Thank you..thank you very much! :D