Friday, February 15, 2008

Love Stinks

I'm a romantic. I want to be swept off my feet every now and again. I want to be surprised with flowers, cards, caring gestures that say I am cherished and appreciated. I don't want to have to remind anyone that it's Valentine's Day or Mother's Day, anniversary or birthday. I don't want to give my gift and have my partner say "Oh, I didn't think we were getting each other anything this year" with this dumb, deer in the headlights, stunned look on his face. I don't want lame presents like a crockpot, iron, kettle, or pair of tongs. So why is it that I marry a man that doesn't know the first thing about romance?

In case you didn't read between the lines or "hear" a certain bitterness in my words..Valentines Day was a bust, again. I'm not sure why I expect a better/different response from Big Daddy each year. He is the way he is or at least that's what he tells me when I ask him why he can't be just a little bit more romantic.."I was this way when you married me, you know that" (that's his response for everything). It's a response I find completely lacking in validity, but he's an old dog and I'm not about to teach him new tricks. If he hasn't learned after 11 years what it means to romance me, he's never going to learn.

But Big Daddy is a good man with plenty of fine qualities and I love the big lug. I just wish he would make an effort once in a while to make the embers burn a little brighter if you know what I mean.

There is 2 months to our 6th wedding anniversary. Anyone want to bet that it will be a similar situation then too? Oh well. I can always dream I suppose.

1 comment:

Gail said...

awww Im sorry, it really hurts doesnt it? I know how you feel - maybe a little.
My sister puts a list on her fridge of what she wants for a)her birthday b) wedding anniversary c) Christmas. She gets everything on her list and others dont have to spend hours in wasted searching.
We cant assume they know us, we sometimes have to make things a little easier for them.
Try it, it might work. People usually live up to, (or down to) our expectations.