Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Not a Creature was Stirring..

..well..except for me, obviously, and O, and my furry babies aka China Pearl and Adair. So it's a restless night here at my house, but what can you expect on Christmas.

I have no idea why the little critter is awake and upstairs singing and cackling to himself. He should be tired. In fact he should be exhausted, but I get the feeling he's awake and going to be..right up until the time I go to get him up to see that Santa was here. He does this on occasion. He'll crash hard early, but low and behold come 3am he's wide awake and won't ever go back to sleep. How does a kid do that? Maybe it has to do with the fact that he takes 3 to 4 hour naps most days. Or maybe it's the reason he naps that long in the first place. Whatever the reason..he's going to be cranky, which I'm not looking forward to this Christmas morning.

Why am I up you ask? Well, it's two fold really. A) It's Christmas morning and I'm a toddler at heart. I've never been able to get a good sleep on Christmas Eve. I'm always too excited about opening presents. Not me, though that is fun. I do adore presents. But what I love most is seeing the expressions on the people that I love when they open up the gifts that I've chosen for them. I get so wound up with anticipation that I can't sleep that night. To be frank, I'm lucky if I don't break down and insist the person up their gift the moment I bring it home from the store. I used to be terrible like that, but I've improved some. My trick is not shopping too early in the season.
And B) I had Big Daddy's stocking left to fill. I didn't wrap everything that went into it this year, so I wanted to wait until he was asleep to do so. Check.

I could go back to sleep I suppose. My alarm is set for 6am, but it's so calm and quiet here that I think I'll pass. An opportunity like this doesn't come around that often. The tree looks beautiful this morning with it's lights all aglow, presents bursting out from underneath and spreading across the floor in a sea of mismatched paper. The moon is casting a silvery glow across my back yard, making it look like the yard is filled with snow (which would be lovely for today only of course). All the critters have settled and it won't be but a half hour before my Mom calls for our traditional 6am (her time) Christmas morning chat.

Isn't it a spectacular morning?

2 comments:

Gail said...

sounds fabulous, you transported me right there, in your words. thrilling!

Erin said...

I did? :) How wonderful! While photography is my passion and has been since I got my first camera a few years back, writing has been my forever passion. It's so gratifying to me when I can make a person see what I see just with words. Thank you for making my day.