Monday, December 17, 2007

One too Many For Me

I'm a bad neighbour. I decided that just this morning. Today my neighbour's daughter came over to see if I would be able to watch her son for a few hours while she took her nanny to stay with her (the daughter) son (whom she had to put in the hosptial because of a 106 degree fever) while she ran errands. I said I would of course because I have trouble saying no to people who aren't family - I find that kind of odd. I immediately wished I could have changed my mind right then and there and given her some excuse, lame or perfectly logical, but I couldn't come up with one. Not having an excuse was one of the reasons I answered the door in the first place. I knew the moment it rang, it was someone wanting something from me, but I get tired of explaining why I don't answer my door..so I answered it.

Her son isn't a bad kid really. He's younger than O by a couple of months and just learned how to walk so he's at the age where a lot of attention is needed. Combine that with the fact that B has some kind of oral fixation and everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) goes into his mouth. I certainly wasn't prepared for this kind of morning though. I was constantly on the watch to make sure that B didn't put something in his mouth that could hurt him like the hooks from the ornaments on the tree, small fruit-like balls on the Christmas tree, metal pulls on the fireplace screen and tv armoire, and any other small toy of O's. It didn't matter. He found all those things plus more including cat toys, toy cars, blocks, and shoe laces. I couldn't turn my back on him for a second.

Needless to say I'm exhausted and I'm ready for a nap. I'm glad it was only three short hours. I don't know how much longer I would have lasted. My patience was starting to wear thin as well. Nothing worked with B; Not smacking his hands, time outs, or just telling him no. To be quite honest, he barely responded to his own name. I lost my cool once and needed to count to 10 to calm down. After that, I decided that there are very few children that I would look after in the future.

It's my fault really. I set myself up for this kind of thing. I try to be a kind, compassionate and caring person, which is why I always volunteer myself if friends or neighbours need anything. "If you ever need anything, just give me a call". When I say it, I mean it. I truly do, but when they come calling there is often that twinge of regret and I kick myself for saying it. I do what I can to help out because I've extended that invitation and I don't go back on my word. And despite my sometime Scrooge-like attitude, I'm always thankful in the end that I could be there for them when they needed help. I guess I just need to work on my attitude and remember the end result. I have to keep in mind what's important to me, and being that person I set out to be..is.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Oh boy, I hear ya! I am exactly the same way with people other than my family. I have no trouble saying no to them at all lol. it's never convenient to give service when others most need it, but like you, I serve also - and I take comfort in Karma, for one day I know it won't be convenient for someone else to help me, but they will do it and I will be overwhelmingly grateful they did, I am sure!
Bless you Muffy, you did good!

Erin said...

Compassion is a blessing..and sometimes a curse. :) Thank you for your vote of confidence, G. I'll be keeping it in mind the next time someone asks.