Sunday, December 16, 2007

First Frost

While some other areas in North Texas have already been subject to an ice storm or two, we've just had our first frost of the year. I awoke to a crisp, clear, beautiful morning. Frost covered just about everything and it was too hard to pass up a photo opportunity such as this one. I took a moment to dress and start my vehicle, then dashed off to dress O for our little excursion. Normally I wouldn't have taken him, but it was Big Daddy's turn to sleep in this morning.
By the time we left the house, I was affraid I had missed most of the good light, but as it turned out, it wasn't all that bad. Next time though, I'll get up earlier to catch the dawn twilight. I headed down our county road towards a barn I had caught a glimpse of on our country drive earlier in the week. I thought it might yield a pretty picture. On the way though we were treated to some wild and not so wild life.




Two things that are abundant here in Texas..cattle and horses. In the same field I saw a pair of coyotes headed for the trees. I didn't get a great view, but it was enough.



The ambient lighting didn't last long, but here are a few other shots that I took this morning (the last being the barn that I specifically made the drive for. As you can see it wasn't great lighting there).

3 comments:

Gail said...

Oh I LOVE the barn, I am an old building kinda girl, the more it is in disrepair, the more I love it.
I think we are long lost twins! I can hear so much of myself in you.
:)

Erin said...

Ohhh, I think we are too! Love love love old buildings and old looking things in general. You should be in old building heaven in Italy! :) I'm so jealous.

Gail said...

I am, but it's kind of like.. oh look another castle, oh look another 27 BC structure, oh look another gate that is 700 years old. Know what I mean? It's every where so nothing stands out.
I don't mean to sound ungrateful or unappreciative - it is an incredible opportunity for us and my camera.

You know what I really love - old furniture, chunky wooden stuff that weighs a ton! mmmMMM

I find it hard to believe we are here. I really do. And I find it hard to believe that I am here, this is the life I have lead thus far. This is an exciting life, crammed full of exciting opportunities - I feel embarrassed, as though I don't deserve it, as though I have no right to have it in some ways. But then I remember that for 20 years while raising my first son on my own, we were poor, scrapping the bottom of the barrel. So I embrace this, I tell myself I deserve it, I've paid my dues! haha It's hard mental work to let myself enjoy it.
But Im into working hard. :)