Sunday, May 4, 2008

Run For The Roses

I was saddened yesterday watching the Kentucky Derby when the little filly, Eight Belles went down after placing second in the race. She was an impressive horse standing 17 hands high (big for a filly) and had a great record, including winning her last 4 starts. Usually Big Daddy make little wagers on such events, but didn't this time because after I picked her to win..so did B.D. I guess he found her as equally impressive.

I love horses and they just so happen to be my favourite animal. It was heartbreaking to watch her go down. I've seen a horse in agony before and it just broke my heart. Eight Belles ran a great race, the longest one of her short life, and I've been disheartened to read some of the comments posted in various forums and such. Many comments were regarding her treatment..specifically Belles' euthanization and how cruel and inhumane it is.
Personally, I feel that in cases where an animal is in extreme pain, hurt beyond repair, euthanizing it is acceptable. No animal should suffer and sometimes there are injuries that are so severe that the animal could never recover despite the best efforts. Yesterday at the Derby was one of those times.

It was a royal run for a royal lady. The following is a song by Dan Folgerberg..another favourite of mine from my youth. I thought it would be an appropriate tribute to Eight Belles.

Born in the valley and raised in the trees
Of Western Kentucky on wobbly knees
With mama beside you to help you along
You'll soon be a-growing up strong

All the long, lazy mornings in pastures of green
The sun on your withers, the wind in your mane
Could never prepare you for what lies ahead
The run for the roses so red

(Chorus)
And it's run for the roses as fast as you can
Your fate is delivered, your moment's at hand
It's the chance of a lifetime in a lifetime of chance
And it's high time you joined in the dance
It's high time you joined in the dance

From sire to sire, it's born in the blood
The fire of a mare and the strength of a stud
It's breeding and it's training and it's something unknown
That drives you and carries you home
(Chorus)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard about this and thank god I didn't see it on TV, it is so sad..poor little Filly.

love you and miss you